4-Day Kruger Park Self-Catering Safari
What to Expect
A 3-day Kruger Park Safari in an open vehicle gives you the ideal opportunity to see the Big 5 as well as the hundreds of other animals living in the world-famous Kruger National Park.
When it comes to accommodation, we have handpicked the best self-catering houses and lodges just outside of the park, guaranteed to give you a most relaxing stay.
Departure & Return Location
What To Bring
Private transfers Johannesburg to Kruger (White River / Marloth Park)
Please note that there are also private transfers available between Johannesburg and Kruger one way, for up to 8 clients.
Day 1 | Transfer & Afternoon Safari
We make use of our own shuttle service, or we outsource other trusted Shuttle Services, a transfer company that shuttles guests to and from the Kruger National Park from the bus terminal. The shuttle leaves at 6:45 am and we ask that guests be at the shuttle by 6:30 am. (Please don’t be late they have to depart in these specific time slots)
You arrive in Marloth Park, where you will be staying for the duration of your stay, between 12:00 pm to 13:00 pm. Met by one of our experienced drivers or safari guides, you will be transferred to your accommodation and have some time to relax before heading off on your first safari at 14:30 pm. This first safari is an afternoon/sunset tour. As the Sun warms the African bush throughout the morning and mid-day the animals seek shelter in the shade from the blistering sun and become inactive. As the afternoon approaches watering holes and dams will be the most popular site to visit and see animals. As the temperatures begin to cool in the late afternoon animals will start to move towards the water to hydrate.
You will be accompanied by a highly qualified and well-experienced guide who will be able to educate and give you an insight on a variety of topics while searching for the famous “Big 5”! Our guides will do their best to make your Kruger National Park experience a memory that will not be forgotten.
Just before the park closes for the day, we journey back to the accommodation. At your accommodation you will have some personal time to relax and enjoy a filling dinner at the restaurant. (clients own account)
The next morning is quite an early one, so we suggest getting enough rest the night before.
Day 2 | Full day open vehicle safari in the Kruger National Park or Kruger National Park Bush Braai
Full Day Option:
We will depart at the 05:00 (October – March) or 05:30 (April – September) and will return and drop off between 16:00 to 17:00.
Entering the Kruger national Park, we begin to explore the high biodiversity the park has to offer. With 53 fish Species, 118 reptile species, 151 mammal species, 507 bird species, 2000 plant species and over 50 000 insect species you can expect to see a whole range of sightings. You will be accompanied with a highly qualified and well experienced guide who will be able to educate and give you an insight on a variety of topics while searching for the famous “Big 5”!
Your accommodation will prepare a pre-packed breakfast, and we’ll stop during the morning to eat. After breakfast, we continue the Kruger safari in search of animals. At lunchtime, we stop again, but instead of eating a packed lunch, we order a meal from a menu at Skukuza Cattle Baron Restaurant.
Late in the afternoon, when the safari is over, we head back to the accommodation and have some time to relax before dinner. After dinner, it’s another early night before an early start.
Bush Braai Option:
We will depart from Marloth Park at 15:30 and Crocodile Bridge 16:00. We will return and drop off between 22:00 to 22:30.
Entering the park, you will embark on an Afternoon Sunset Safari that will take you to the EXCLUSIVE Bush Braai Site. Here guests will enjoy a welcoming drink around the fire and experience the African sunset. Enjoy a Bush Dinner under the African skies with nature the backdrop and the sounds of Kruger in the background. After dinner guests will depart with the guide on a Night drive and make their way back to Crocodile Bridge to exit the park.
Bush Dinner Menu
- 3 Meats One red meat and one white meat plus one boerewors
- Pap and Sheba
- Two hot veg
- 3 Salads (Greek salad standard with 2 other)
- Dessert (A traditional SA dessert)
- Drinks (will include 4 beverages of which the choices are: red/white wine, soft drinks, water, beers and ciders.
Day 3 | Morning Safari and Transfer back to Johannesburg
We will depart at the 05:00am (October – March) or 05:30 (April – September) and will leave the park at around 11:15 am. This is the last day of our 3-day Kruger Park safari. Along with your luggage, we depart for the park with pre-pack breakfasts on board. This morning safari is about 4-5 hours long and we go to the best areas of the park in the hopes of catching a last-minute glimpse of other animals.
We leave the park at 11:15 am, transferring you to the shuttle meeting point. Here you will meet up with the Shuttle Service. They depart at 12:00 pm and will take you back to the shuttle bay at OR Tambo International Airport. From here you can depart to your chosen city hotel.
- A small single supplement is charged for single travellers.
- All rates are quoted in South African Rand (ZAR)
- Transfer costs and SANParks conservation fees are included in the rates, unless stated otherwise.
- Rates are subject to change due to 3rd party suppliers.
- Transfers and Safaris are not private tours, unless booked on a private basis.
- Some lodges have a child policy that does not allow children under the age of 12. It is advised to book a holiday house for families with young children. This can be booked with us.
- Guests that are flying out of OR Tambo International Airport are advised not to book any flights departing earlier than 19h00 (domestic) or 21h00 (international).
- Royal Safaris does not accept any liability for guests missing their flight due to missing the shuttle departure times.
- Please note there is a luggage restriction of 20kg and a small carry-on bag per guest.
- Royal Safaris makes use of lodges and hotels just on the outskirts of the Kruger, in Marloth Park or White River / Hazyview. The accommodation we use is only about 15 – 45 minutes away from the closest Kruger gate.
- While we don’t take children under the age of 8 on our shared safaris, we more than happily accommodate them on our private safaris.
- Guests arriving to Johannesburg are advised to arrive a day earlier in order to avoid missing their shuttle.
- The Bush Breakfast and Bush Braai activities are subject to availability. When these activities are not available, alternative safari activities will replace them.